Take a stirring and enlightening road trip of the South’s “South” — from Memphis to Jackson to Birmingham — and witness the sights, sounds, and tastes of the Mississippi Delta. Join a small group tour and experience this unique part of the Deep South.
October 9-18, 2019
9 days/9 nights: Memphis down through Oxford, Clarksdale, Greenwood, & Jackson, MS, and on to Selma, Montgomery, & Birmingham, AL.
The full tour is expected to include:
- National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Hotel, Memphis
- Civil Rights Trail Sites Throughout Mississippi & Alabama
- Mississippi Civil Rights Museum & Mississippi History Museum, Jackson
- National Memorial for Peace and Justice & The Legacy Museum, Montgomery
- Southern Poverty Law Center & Maya Lin’s Civil Rights Memorial, Montgomery
- Edmund Pettus Bridge, Selma
- 16th Street Baptist Church, Birmingham
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, Birmingham
- Stax Museum of American Soul Music, Memphis
- Juke Joints, Bars, & Clubs Featuring the Delta Blues from Memphis down to Clarksdale, the Birthplace of the Delta Blues
- Mini-Blues Festival, Clarksdale
- Delta Blues Museum, Clarksdale
- Mississippi Blues Trail Sites
- Boyhood Haunts that Influenced Tennessee Williams’s Most Memorable Plays
- Rowan Oak, William Faulkner’s home in Oxford
- Square Books, Oxford
- Private Folk Art Collections
- Dining at Barbeque Joints, Old Grocery Stores, & Upscale Award-Winning Southern Restaurants
- Stops along the Mississippi Delta Hot Tamale Trail
- University of Mississippi: Center for the Study of Southern Culture’s Southern Foodways Alliance
- Optional Specialty Cooking Class at the Viking Cooking School in Greenwood (Home of Viking Ranges)
- Southern Outsider Art Sites & Artists
- Scholarly Lectures & Expert-Guided Tours Throughout
- Accommodations in Classic Southern Luxury Hotels, a Hip Hotel in a Newly Renovated Building from the 1920s, & a Sophisticated Hotel & Spa with Old Southern Charm
THE COST FOR THIS EXTRAORDINARY TRIP IS:
Double Occupancy, per person: $3,741
Single Room Supplement: $1,227
Pricing is based on a minimum of 15 participants. Accommodations are based on double occupancy. Tour price includes: lodging; 5 lunches, 9 dinners with wine & beer, and daily breakfasts; all honoraria, entrance fees, & donations; private bus transportation throughout the trip; all pre- tour emailings; and numerous tours and the services of various specialized lecturers, guides, & Resonant Journeys staff. Tour price does not include: Round-trip airfare to Memphis, TN & from Birmingham, AL, and meals not specified in the itinerary. The final itinerary will be supplied to all participants closer to the time of travel.
Do not miss this extraordinary opportunity — send your deposit in now!
HOW TO REGISTER FOR THIS TRIP
To secure your reservation, a deposit of $1,000 per person, payable by check to Resonant Journeys, is required to reserve a space on the tour. Deposits are applied to payment of the trip price, as stated above.
Trip participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. Trip registration is a three-step process.
Download Registration Form
- Download and complete the registration form (see button below).
- Write a check for a NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF $1,000 per person, payable by CHECK ONLY, to: Resonant Journeys.
- Mail the completed registration form and check to Resonant Journeys as directed at the end of the registration form.
Questions? Contact Us:
Gretchen Freeman at 602.912.0899 firstname.lastname@example.org